Tuesday, February 7, 2017

San Antonio


We arrived in San Antonio last evening with the sunset. Our first stop this morning was at the Alamo. My only memory of Alamo history comes from my childhood and consists of knowing that Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie died there. This visit taught me what I was missing. I was also pleased to see that the city takes good care of the site. 


As I like to visit quilt shops, it isn't surprising that before we stopped at the Alamo we visited a quilt shop that I heard carried Day of the Dead and Texas based fabrics. Las Colchas turned out to be a real delight! 


We spent a few hours on the Riverwalk after our Alamo visit. It certainly does wind through the city! The day also turned out to be the warmest day we have had so far, 86 degrees. But there was a nice breeze on the river. 


We stopped for lunch at a Tex-Mex restaurant called Rita's on the River. I couldn't resist! I told the hostess that my name was also Rita and they gave me a free t-shirt with the restaurant's name. The food was only okay, but the margarita was terrific! 


There were birds begging at every table, including three tiny ducklings without their mother. I hope she found them quickly. 


2 comments:

  1. I have been there. Nice riverwalk. And I think I ate at Rita's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to hand it to Mike for accompanying you to all those quilt shops! :--)

    ReplyDelete