Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Vienna

We started towards Vienna on the 30th, heading through our first lock that night. We are supposedly going to pass through twenty-seven locks on this trip. 

 
We visited Vienna on Sunday, which, if you want to shop, is not the best day of the week to be there. We managed to get to a great coffee shop - we asked a local where to go. Cafe Leopold Hawelka is a funky old place with great coffee and so-so service! The coffee saves them. 


We saw a lot in just a few hours, from the  Lipizzan stables to the National Library, located in the Hofburg Palace. We drove the Ringstrasse a couple of times, once in daylight and once at night. It is a beautiful boulevard. The Vienna Opera House isn't open right now, as it is the summer break, but even the outside is gorgeous. 

Opera House

National Library

Lipizzaner Stables 

We visited St. Stephen's in the heart of the city. This beautiful church is always worth the time, even though I have seen it before. 

St. Stephen's

After dinner we went to see a shortened version of "The Marrage of Figaro." Mike even agreed to go, his first taste of opera. 


When we arrived we had an opportunity to meet the singers who were to be the players. Mike and I met Figaro and Susannah. The singers who played these parts were excellent! As my friend Katie knows, I love the baritone voice! 


Vienna was a lively, but very quick visit! 

3 comments:

  1. How cool that you got a taste of Figaro, and that Mike was a good sport and went along! Yes, Rita, how well I know your love of baritones! I sure miss our 'arguments' about who's better, the baritone or the (could there be any question?) beloved tenor?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW... I have just been traveling in my mind with you and so pleased that WE TOO have had that lovely experience of Lake Louise, Jasper, etc.. but by train. Good to be home. You did an excellent job on the blog, Rita... I went all the way back to June, so I have caught up now with your travels. Thanks.. I may have to refer to your Banff and Jasper pics to make sure I label things correctly. hehehehe. roz PS Tina Fellin and hubby looked great and also didn't realize you had seen Rod and Cordy... take care..........roz

    ReplyDelete