Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Key West - the Rest


We spent almost a week in Key West. We saw beautiful sunsets and rode our bike everywhere. It was restful and gorgeous. I even managed to read a couple of books. That always makes me happy. 


I made it to Blue Heaven twice, once for a spectacular dinner and both times I visited I had their wonderful key lime pie. It is the best one in Key West and even though some may not agree - there are those who think it should be topped with whipped cream rather than meringue - I say it is the best. 


A highlight of our visit was our boat tour to Fort Jefferson on the Dry Tortugas. This island fort is 70 miles from Key West. It is often the stopping point for Cuban refugees, as it is US land. If they make it there they can stay. We saw some of the boats they use in the crossing. We had about 30 people on the fort tour which is how many they pack into a boat. Incredible! 


We took the moat tour around the fort, too, and learned about the marine life that makes this area their home. We even saw their resident crocodile, but I did not get a photo. He hid too quickly. Mike took one with the good camera, but it isn't downloaded yet. 



Today we are driving north again. 

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful pictures and narrative. Don't be in a hurry going home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like more meringue than key lime.... Nevertheless, I wish I were there too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With or without meringue, that pie looked great. I agree with Doanne, take your time and enjoy... it is just cold up here... We got a small dusting yesterday but not enough that I couldn't drive...hahaha... Thanks for sending link in your emails... GORGEOUS photos...

    ReplyDelete